Posted on

Vintage upcycling: 1973 Robe pattern from a 70’s sheet

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This  is Simplicity 5685 from 1973 made from a vintage sheet from around the  same year.  I am over the moon that the border pieces match – even the sewn-on front band!  If you use border fabric, make sure that all of the edge pieces line up from the same line.  I put the cutting line on the fabric edge and it turned out fine.  I  “fussy-cut” the pocket to show off the big purple flower.This  is not a difficult pattern, but the body/sleeve intersection is a  little tricky because it is a right angle.  If you go too far it will  pucker (just use a ripper to take out the extras).  If you don’t go far  enough there will be a hole – just stitch a little further.

I  had to visit You Tube before making the belt carriers, as there are no pattern pieces or instructions for those.  Because the fabric unravels easily, I finished all of the seams using the overcast stitch on my machine and the “G” or Overcast presser foot.  I love this foot, which keeps the fabric from puckering when overcasting or zig-zagging.  As I don’t have a serger, I use this foot on almost every project.

I didn’t have any seam binding, so I just turned the sleeves and hem under 1/4″ twice and sewed them down.

If you want to give this project a try, here are links to similar patterns in this shop: Butterick 6475 chest/bust 30.5-31.5 and Butterick 6475 chest/bust 34-36.  I also have several robe patterns in my Etsy shop, including a child-size kimono robe that would be cute made up from a character sheet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *